Thames Valley Police Museum
About the Museum
Thames Valley Police has a small museum at the White House, Sulhamstead (near Reading, Berkshire), formerly headquarters of the Berkshire Constabulary and now Thames Valley Police's training centre.
The museum includes displays on the history of Thames Valley Police and the five police forces that merged to form it: Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxford City, Oxfordshire and Reading Borough.
The museum's collections include items from the Great Train Robbery of 1963, uniforms, equipment, medals, photographs, scenes of crime evidence, and occurrence and charge books.
A booklet on the history of Thames Valley Police and its predecessor forces is now available. It contains information and photographs taken from the archives of the Force Museum at Sulhamstead.
The booklet costs £1.50. For more information please email the Museum curator or call 01865 846578.
Under the 'Non-appointment Wednesday' initiative, between 10am and 12pm each Wednesday, the Force museum will be available to the public without appointment and the usual charge of £3 a person will be waived.
Visitors will be welcomed and led around the museum by the member of the museum team. Please note there will be no non-appointment Wednesday available on 30 July 2014.
The following conditions apply:
- Groups visiting should not exceed five people.
- Visitors arriving outside of the hours stipulated will not be granted access to the museum and will be asked to leave and return another time.
- It would be appreciated if groups attending do so in one vehicle as limited parking space has been made available to museum visitors within the White House car park.
- The museum reserves the right to cancel a 'Non-appointment Wednesday' due to staffing shortages, operational commitments, events or adverse weather conditions.
- Visitors will be briefed on any health and safety considerations prior to entering the museum.
- The White House is an operational facility and its day-to-day activity takes precedence.
To avoid disappointment, please contact the White House reception on 01189 325 749 to confirm the museum is open before your visit.
|Group visits||£3.00 per person|
|Individual research visits||£6.00|
|School visits (by appointment)||no charge|
|Enquiries, letter only||£6.00|
|Enquiries, letter and photograph||£10.00|
|Displays, photographs only||£10.00|
|Displays, photographs and artefacts||£25.00|