Grant of firearm and shotgun certificates – important information
Where there is no concern for public safety and the applicant fulfils all legislative criteria, Thames Valley Police will endeavour to process the grant of a firearms or shotgun certificate within 60 working days from date of receipt.
Please note that due to the high volume of work that we are currently experiencing there is a delay in carrying out the background checks. As a consequence of this we may be unable to process grant applications within 60 working days.
Renewal of firearm and shotgun certificates – important information
Due to our current renewal period we are experiencing a delay in processing applications. If you have submitted a renewal application and we are unable to process it prior to the expiry date the licensing authority will issue you with a temporary permit to cover your continued use and possession. If you have not received your temporary permit a week before your expiry date please email the firearms licensing department – firstname.lastname@example.org
The firearms licensing email is monitored between the hours of 0800 – 1600 hours (Monday – Thursday) and 0800 – 1530 hours (Friday).
Telephone lines will be open as usual between the hours of 1400 – 1600 (Monday –Thursday) and 0800 – 1530 (Friday), however, these lines are limited and we would ask that the first point of contact is via the firearms licensing email address – email@example.com
- All firearms and ammunition held must be taken to a Registered Firearms Dealer for safe keeping until you receive your new certificate.
- All shotguns held may either be taken to a Registered Firearms Dealer or another current shotgun certificate holder who has adequate storage facilities for safe keeping until you receive your new certificate.
- The Firearms Licensing Department must be informed of the location of any guns held. View ‘notice of transfer or disposal of a firearm or shotgun’ page for more information.
Contact the Firearms Licensing department
Thames Valley Police
Firearms and Explosive Licensing Department
Telephone - 01865 846566 (lines are open from 2pm - 4pm Monday to Friday. Please note, these revised times are as a result of the high volume of work that we are currently experiencing).
Please fill out the application form after reading form 201A, located with the application forms.
We will endeavour to process your application within the following times, from date of receipt:
- Renewal or variation of a firearm certificate - within 60 working days.
- Renewal of a shot gun certificate - within 60 working days.
- Change of address - within 30 working days.
- Issue a European Firearms Pass - within 20 working days.
- Issue a temporary permit - within 20 working days.
Please note: No commitment can be made for Visitor's Firearms or Shotgun permits due to the requirement for checks within Interpol (opens new window).
Please inform the firearms licensing department of your change of address or request for a European Firearms Pass be emailing the Firearms Licensing department.