Application forms

Please find application forms below for your relevant certificate/permit to download and print out.

Please read the guidance notes on this page before you complete the forms.

View application form for a Firearms/Shotgun Certificate (PDF 370 Kb - opens new window).

View guidance notes for the application of a Grant or Renewal of a Firearms and/or Shotgun Certificate (PDF 228 Kb - opens new window).

View application form for a Variation to a Firearms Certificate (PDF 229 Kb - opens new window).

View application for a Visitor's Firearms/Shotgun Permit (PDF 41 Kb - opens new window).

View a Cancellation Form (PDF 206 Kb - opens new window).

Please return all completed forms to:

The Police Firearms Licensing department
Thames Valley Police Headquarters
Oxford Road
OX5 2NX.

Please read advice below:

1. Applications

You are advised to submit your application within 60 working days before the expiry of your current certificate. This time frame allows us to process renewal applications in accordance with the legislation and Home Office Guidance.

Please note that if your application is not received within this time frame, we are not able to guarantee that we will be able to process your application prior to its expiry date and would therefore advise you to seek alternative storage arrangements to prevent you from being in unlawful possession of your guns.

Failure to submit your application before the expiry date will mean your application will be treated as a grant rather than a renewal and a further fee will be payable.

2. Security of firearms and shotguns

Security of your firearm(s) and ammunition is your responsibility. These guidelines are not mandatory and alternative methods of achieving a similar standard of security will be considered. They cover section 1 firearms and ammunition, and section 2 shot guns.

(a)Gun cabinets

Any cabinet used to store firearms, component parts of firearms, or ammunition should conform to BS 7558(1992).


Rifles should be kept in a gun cabinet or within a gun room with adequate door and window security. Rifle bolts should be stored separately in a similar container, which may form part of the main cabinet, provided it is capable of being locked separately. While shotguns are best kept in a gun cabinet, alternative methods of achieving a similar standard of security will be accepted eg in a substantial locked cupboard or secured to a wall with a chain or wire hawser (also locked).


Handguns are section 5 (prohibited) weapons. Where an exemption has been granted for their possession, they should be kept in a substantial steel container, preferably a gun cabinet.


Ammunition should be stored separately in a locked container. It may form part of the main cabinet provided it is separately locked. Ammunition boxes should be ventilated.


Gun cabinets must be attached to a sound surface and the force required to pull the fixing bolt should not be less than 2kN. The gun cabinet should be locked by means of one or more secure locks or close shackle padlocks of not less than 1,000 differs. Padlock shackles should be hardened. The cabinets should preferably be in a concealed place. Preferably it should not be in a garage or outhouse. Principally, only cabinets which meet the specification BS 7558 (1992) are suitable but others may be acceptable if examined by a Firearms Enquiry Officer.


Where numerous guns are kept, serious consideration should be given to the installation of an intruder alarm system conforming to BS 4737. All external doors to the premises should be secured with five lever mortice locks. Accessible, opening windows should be fitted with window locks. Alternatively, if the premises in which the firearms are to be stored are especially vulnerable eg flats, houses converted to apartments or dwellings in high risk areas, guns should be stored at an armoury or with a registered firearms dealer. In the case of collectors, guns should not be openly displayed.

(g)Transporting guns

When guns and ammunition are transported, consideration should be given to the security of both during the journey. Where guns and ammunition are transported on a regular basis, the installation of a lockable container securely bolted to the structure of the vehicle, so as to prevent easy removal by unauthorised persons, is strongly recommended. If the vehicle is to be left unattended, it will normally be sufficient to remove the bolt, trigger and/or fore-end of the gun, and for the remainder of the gun and ammunition to be concealed from view in the locked vehicle. If the vehicle is to be left unattended for prolonged periods, the guns and/or ammunition should be moved from the vehicle to a more secure location. Guns and/or ammunition should not be visible during transportation. If, exceptionally, guns are to be carried on public transport, they should be kept covered in a suitable case and remain with the holder at all times.

3. European Firearms Passes

If you intend to take firearms or shotguns to another European Union (EU) country, you require a European Firearms Pass (EFP). Firearms and shotguns are listed on the same EFP. All your guns will be listed unless you instruct otherwise. The EFP is valid to the date of whichever of your certificates expires first. You should write to the Firearms Licensing department, not less than ten working days before your date of departure, authorising the use of one of your photographs held on file. There is no fee for this service.

4. Processing your application

Once your application is received, a number of routine checks are conducted. You will then be contacted by a Firearms Enquiry Officer who will arrange an appointment visit for you to discuss where you wish to shoot and the security for your guns. He can also advise you on any shooting problems should you require it. All Firearms Enquiry Officers carry identification cards.

5. Further information

For more information on specific aspects of licensing firearms, please view the Home Office publication, ‘Firearms Law: Guidance to the Police’ (opens new window).

6. Complaints

Thames Valley Police takes pride in its quality of service but acknowledges that misunderstanding may occur. The Firearms Manager is responsible for customer services. Any complaint should be directed to the Firearms Manager, Firearms Licensing Department, Thames Valley Police HQ, Oxford Road, Kidlington, OX5 2NX.