Police station services
Do you know what services are on offer at your local police station?
At our police stations, your queries and questions are dealt with by station duty officers and police volunteers. There are tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3 public access points – each tier offers a different level of service to you.
Kelly Scully, Thames Valley Police counter services manager, said: “The aim of the tier system is to help us to provide a better service to members of the public who visit our stations or Police Information Points.”
The availability and visibility of police officers to attend incidents is not affected by front counter opening times.
Tier 1 – Police Information Points
These locations rely entirely upon volunteers to deliver the public service. Police volunteers offer the following services at Tier 1 locations:
- Crime reduction advice
- ASB referral advice
- Community Messaging sign up
- Domestic abuse advice
- Advice on whether or not a traffic collision is reportable (they cannot take traffic collision reports)
- Neighbourhood team information
- Police volunteer/Special Constable recruitment
- Neighbourhood watch advice/applications
- Guidance on Subject Access Request procedures
- General advice/directions
- Applications for firearms/shotguns
Tier 2 – Neighbourhood stations
These police stations are covered by station duty officers (SDOs). As well as all Tier 1 services, the SDOs offer the following:
- Road traffic collision reporting.
- Crime recording (either in person or via telephone to the Police Enquiry Centre).
- Processing of documents after a vehicle seizure.
- Change of details for immigration and nationality purposes.
- Receipt of property connected with a crime.
- Bail signing.
- Stranded people.
- Guidance on subject access request procedures.
Tier 2 police stations can also offer additional services to those listed above, based on locally identified need.
Tier 3 – Main police stations
Tier 3 police stations offer the complete range of front counter services for Thames Valley Police. As well as offering tier 1 and tier 2 services, they also offer the following:
- Registration of immigration and nationality subjects.
- Registration of sex offenders.
- Removal of prohibition.
- Custody enquiries.
- Pedlar applications.
- Football Banning Order registrations.