Prevent Engagement Officers (PEOs) are police staff and do not have any police powers or an enforcement role.
However, the Prevent department now has Prevent Officers (POs) who are police officers with an enforcement role as well. Both PEOs and POs work with communities as part of the Prevent strategy. The overarching aim of Prevent is to stop people becoming involved in or supporting all forms of terrorism.
The Prevent Engagement Team works with local communities to identify tensions and grievances. The team of officers and police staff aim to encourage discussion ensuring that terrorism is prevented from taking root in our communities and neighbourhoods. They support the wider engagement activities already taking place in schools, places of worship, and community groups. Through this work they aim to strengthen communities in order to challenge the ideologies and messages of hate which lead to terrorism.
How can you help?
It is important that we all work together so that we can protect people in our communities who may be vulnerable to those who seek to radicalise and recruit people to their cause. There are many ways you can help:
- You can get in touch with your local neighbourhood or Prevent team if you are worried about friends, relatives or neighbours who you believe may be vulnerable to the message of radicalisation.
- You can speak to your local officers/Prevent contact about helping run community events to bring people from our different faiths and communities together.
- You can provide facilities that could help the police and our partners hold community engagement events.
- If you have any suggestions or feedback, or wish to get involved, please get in touch with your local Prevent contact (see below).
Your local PEO/PO:
- Slough PEO: Neelam Shiraz
- High Wycombe PO: PC David Williams
- Milton Keynes PO: PC Kevin Hudson-Cook
- Reading PEO: Amele Djebbar
- Reading PO: PC Debbie Smith
- Oxfordshire PEO: Mohammed Azad