Data Protection requests
Please click on the link below that is most appropriate to your enquiry.
- How to access your personal data held on the Police National Computer (including details of prosecution/conviction history)
- How to access your personal data held on Thames Valley Police Local systems
- Request information for family court proceedings.
- What is the Data Protection Act?
- What is the difference between the Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act?
- How do I request the removal of DNA/fingerprints and other police information?
- Contact the Public Access Office.
Use this form to request a check for a criminal conviction history
Should you like to know what information is held about you on the Police National Computer, you will need to complete an Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office Subject access form (ACRO SA1), which can be downloaded from the ACPO website (opens new window). The form should be printed and completed following the instructions which are on the form.
The processing of these applications is carried out by the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office, known as ACRO. Thames Valley Police can provide general advice about what information this application will provide and whether it is appropriate for your needs. However, all queries about how the process works, timescales for responses etc should be directed to ACRO on 0845 6013 999.
Do not use this form to request a check for a criminal conviction history – see previous paragraph.
Should you wish to know what information is held about you on Thames Valley Police local information systems, you will need to complete a sa1a.pdfSubject access request application form (SA1A) (PDF 121 Kb - opens new window). This form should be printed and completed following the instructions which are on the form.
How to apply for both types of information
Please be advised that should you wish to complete both an ACRO SA1 and SA1A request, you are only required to pay one statutory fee of £10. This will need to be sent to ACRO with your ACRO SA1 application.
You will be required to send identification documents to both ACRO and Thames Valley Police with your applications. Please ensure that you have noted on the SA1A application that you have submitted both requests. This is in Section 1b.
How to access your personal data held on the Police National Computer from Disclosures Scotland and for visiting/work/living in Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Bahamas, South Africa, Belgium or Chile
If your UK employer has asked you to provide a copy of your criminal record – or proof that you don’t have one – apply to Disclosure Scotland via the Disclosure Scotland website (opens new window) or 0870 609 6006. Responses take about two weeks from receipt of application and payment.
If you are planning to visit or work/live in Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Bahamas, South Africa, Belgium or Chile and require a copy of your criminal record – or proof that you don’t have one – apply to Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) Criminal Records Office for a police certificate - visit the ACPO website (opens new window) or call 0845 601 3999.
Anyone wishing to obtain information held by Thames Valley Police for use in family court proceedings will need to fill in a Standard Request Form. To download a copy of the form, please visit our Family Court Disclosures page.
- The Data Protection Act deals with personal information that relates to living people – for example, crime reports or witness statements usually contain personal information.
- The Freedom of Information Act deals with public information, such as crime statistics and does not ordinarily allow access to personal information. You can make a Freedom of Information request via this website.
Information held by the police service is retained in accordance with legislation and national guidance. In limited circumstances, individuals are entitled to request the removal of police held information prior to the defined retention periods. However, this will only be undertaken in exceptional circumstances.
With regards to the removal of DNA and Fingerprints only, please refer to the ACPO website (opens new window) which outlines the legal position on retention and when samples can be requested forearly deletion, if it does not fall into the legal criteria for removal.
Any other requests or enquiries should be directed to the Public Access Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01865 846033.
Contact the Public Access Office
We are happy to discuss any data protection queries that you may have.
- Telephone – 01865 846329.
- Write to – Public Access Office, Thames Valley Police Headquarters, Oxford Road, Kidlington, OX5 2NX.
- Email the Public Access Office.