Christmas burglary tips
5 top tips on burglary for a crime-free Christmas
- Property mark presents and valuables with your postcode, house number or name, then register on www.immobilise.com (opens new window) Make a note of all model numbers and serial numbers of all electrical items.
- Keep presents out of view – placing presents in plain view of windows will only draw attention to your house and its contents.
- Be cautious when using social media such as FaceBook – do you really want to advertise that your home is empty by showing you are somewhere else or having a countdown to your holiday?
- Invest in a timer to open and close your curtains or turn on your lights, or better yet, ask a family member or neighbor to pop in and do it at random times of the day so a potential thief does not see an exact pattern.
- Dispose of boxes and rubbish discreetly. Leaving boxes outside will give away the fact that you have new and valuable items in the house.
Have a happy and crime free Christmas!