Question and Answer - Q34
I am a postman/milkman/charity collector etc and when I was delivering to a house a dog bit me when I was in their garden, what action can I take?
You have an implied permission to enter a property to carry out your job. If you are attacked by a dog whilst on the property then the dog could be said to be dangerous and out of control.
You need to report the incident to the police who will carry out an investigation. The courts have the power to order that the dog is kept under proper control or destroyed.
- Can I have some information on how I can become a dog handler/ trainer in the police?
- Can the police do anything about people who let their dogs foul on the pavement?
- Do the police do any courses for dog owners?
- Does my dog have to wear a collar with my name and address on it?
- I am concerned that a neighbour is being cruel to his dog, what can I do?
- I have found a dog, what do I do?
- I have knocked over an animal, do I have to report it?
- I have lost my dog, what do I do?
- I want to offer a dog to the police service, what breed/age of dogs do you accept?
- My dog is really afraid of fireworks, do you have any advice?
- My pet has been attacked by a dog can the police do anything?
- My school is doing a project on police dogs, can we have a visit?
- The dog next door is always barking, what can I do?
- There is a dog in a vehicle that appears hot and distressed, what should I do?
- There is a dog that lives down the street and the owner has let it out without a lead and it has bitten me, what can I do?
- There is a stray dog that is hanging around my neighbourhood, what should I do?
- What action can be taken with regards to a dangerous dog?
- What happens if my pet dog bites an intruder in my house?
- What should I do if I suspect my neighbour has an illegal type of dog?
- What type of dogs are illegal to own?