Question and Answer - Q41
Can I have some information on how I can become a dog handler/ trainer in the police?
You must be a police officer and have two years service in the police in order to apply to become a dog handler. Your home is checked to see if it is suitable for a police dog, namely off road parking and enough space in the garden to house two kennels. You will then have to successfully complete a suitability course to ascertain if you could handle a police dog.
The role of dog trainer within police forces has recently opened to non police officers in some police forces. However, for the present time the majority of the trainers will be police officers. To become a dog trainer for the police service you must have considerable experience in training working dogs and possess either the Home Office Instructors certificate or the ability to gain the certificate. You would ideally possess some type of teaching certificate and have a proven record of teaching.
For more information on becoming a dog trainer, contact your local police force.
- Can the police do anything about people who let their dogs foul on the pavement?
- Do the police do any courses for dog owners?
- Does my dog have to wear a collar with my name and address on it?
- Does my dog need to be microchipped?
- I am a postman/milkman/charity collector etc and when I was delivering to a house a dog bit me when I was in their garden, what action can I take?
- I am concerned that a neighbour is being cruel to his dog, what can I do?
- I have found a dog, what do I do?
- I have knocked over an animal, do I have to report it?
- I have lost my dog, what do I do?
- I want to offer a dog to the police service, what breed/age of dogs do you accept?
- My dog is really afraid of fireworks, do you have any advice?
- My pet has been attacked by a dog can the police do anything?
- My school is doing a project on police dogs, can we have a visit?
- The dog next door is always barking, what can I do?
- There is a dog in a vehicle that appears hot and distressed, what should I do?
- There is a dog that lives down the street and the owner has let it out without a lead and it has bitten me, what can I do?
- There is a stray dog that is hanging around my neighbourhood, what should I do?
- What action can be taken with regards to a dangerous dog?
- What happens if my pet dog bites an intruder in my house?
- What should I do if I suspect my neighbour has an illegal type of dog?
- What type of dogs are illegal to own?
- Can you tell me about Community Support Officers?
- Can you tell me about other careers in the police force?
- Can you tell me about the police cadet scheme?
- How do I become an interpreter for the Police?
- How do I join the police?
- How old do I have to be to join the police service?
- I want to join the Special Constabulary, how do I go about it?
- I work in the police service and want a change in my career, can you suggest how I go about it?
- If I have a criminal conviction can I still join the Police?
- What qualifications do I need to be a police officer?