Question and Answer - Q514
Is there a legal requirement to report a crime?
Whilst there is no legal requirement to report a crime, there is a moral duty on everyone of us to report to the police any crime or anything we suspect may be a crime.
- How long do I have to report an incident to the police?
- I have been assaulted by my ex partner/partner, what should I do?
- I have been assaulted, will the police take photos of my injuries?
- Is spitting an assault?
- I've been hit in the face at the pub, I wasn't marked, is that an assault?
- What is battery?
- What steps do the police have to take with regard to victims of crime?
- I have been burgled, is there anything I can do, with regards to evidence, before the police arrive?
- Someone has broken into my house and taken some property, is that burglary?
- I have just seen a bench/road sign/fence which looks like it has been vandalised. Who should I report this to?
- My car has been broken into what should I do?
- My landlord has changed the locks and I can't get in, can I break in?
- Someone has thrown a brick through my window, what do I do?
- Someone has vandalised a local bus shelter. Who should I contact to get it fixed?
- There is some graffiti/fly posters all over a wall on my street. Who should I contact to get it removed?
- What is the law with regards to graffiti?
- I am the victim of a crime that has happened in another country, what do I do?
- Local youths keep knocking on my door and running away/throwing eggs at my window, what can I do?
- My ex partner keeps ringing me and waiting for me outside work, I think he/she is stalking me, what can I do? / I keep getting text messages from him/her, is it harassment?
- My friend/ex partner/ex employee is sending me threatening/nuisance e-mails/texts/phone calls, what can I do?
- My neighbour is harassing me, what can I do?
- I think I have been the victim of a homophobic incident and what can the police do?
- What is a hate crime?
- What is the law on racial and religious hatred and hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation?
- Someone has attacked me because of my race, what can I do? / I have suffered from a racial incident, what can I do?
- My son was pushed over and his mobile phone taken, is that a robbery?
- Can you tell me about sexting ?
- Can you tell me if there are any registered sex offenders in my area and about Sarah's law?
- I believe that my daughter is having sexual intercourse and she is only 13 years old, what can I do?
- I have been raped but I am too scared to come forward, what is the procedure and will the police take the report seriously?
- I suffered sexual abuse as a child and now I feel I can report it, what can the police do?
- My young child has been the victim of a sexual assault, how will the police interview my child and can I be there?
- My young child who has learning disabilities/mental health problems has been the victim of a sexual assault, how will the police deal with us? Is there any extra support?
- Someone has put a video/photograph of me on the internet/ is showing video footage of me in a compromising position to friends etc, without my permission, what can I do?
- Someone has sent me an email that contains indecent images of children, what should I do?
- There are a lot of men going in an out of a house down the road. It could be a brothel, what should I do?
- Can I pick wild flowers growing at the side of the road?
- How can I prevent my mobile phone being stolen?
- I am moving house and I am worried about the next occupants using my mail for identity theft, is there anything I can do?
- I have got my bank statement this morning and there are some transactions on it that I have not made, what should I do?
- I have lent my phone/CD/car to my friend/ relative/ partner and they haven't given it back.
- I know someone, who is committing benefit fraud, what should I do?
- I want to advertise for the return of an item I lost or had stolen, is it legal?
- I want to buy a car that has been advertised on the internet, how can I tell whether or not it is genuine?
- My car has been broken into and I think there are some fingerprints, what can I do?
- My car has been stolen, what should I do and what will happen if they are caught?
- My vehicle has been broken into several times, can I install CCTV equipment in my vehicle?
- Someone has hired some property from me and failed to return it, is it theft?
- Someone has run off without paying for a meal in my restaurant
- What is identity theft and what can be done about it?
- What is the law relating to fraud?
- What is the law relating to the sale of scrap metal?