Question and Answer - Q524
What happens if my pet dog bites an intruder in my house?
Amendments to the Dangerous Dogs Act mean it is now an offence for a dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place and on private property.
Though intruders would generally not be covered by the amendments, all the circumstances will have to be considered and each decision will be judged individually. For example if you deliberately set your dog onto the intruder and they then suffer injury, you may be liable for prosecution and the dog ordered to be kept under control. However, if you are not home and your dog attacks, it is unlikely that you would be liable for the attack.
Remember that most dogs will simply bark at an intruder but will not follow with a physical attack. see Q653 for more information on dangerous dogs.
- Can I have some information on how I can become a dog handler/ trainer in the police?
- Can the police do anything about people who let their dogs foul on the pavement?
- Do the police do any courses for dog owners?
- Does my dog have to wear a collar with my name and address on it?
- Does my dog need to be microchipped?
- I am a postman/milkman/charity collector etc and when I was delivering to a house a dog bit me when I was in their garden, what action can I take?
- I am concerned that a neighbour is being cruel to his dog, what can I do?
- I have found a dog, what do I do?
- I have knocked over an animal, do I have to report it?
- I have lost my dog, what do I do?
- I want to offer a dog to the police service, what breed/age of dogs do you accept?
- My dog is really afraid of fireworks, do you have any advice?
- My pet has been attacked by a dog can the police do anything?
- My school is doing a project on police dogs, can we have a visit?
- The dog next door is always barking, what can I do?
- There is a dog in a vehicle that appears hot and distressed, what should I do?
- There is a dog that lives down the street and the owner has let it out without a lead and it has bitten me, what can I do?
- There is a stray dog that is hanging around my neighbourhood, what should I do?
- What action can be taken with regards to a dangerous dog?
- What should I do if I suspect my neighbour has an illegal type of dog?
- What type of dogs are illegal to own?
- A house/business burglar alarm is going off, what can I do?
- Are external lights a good idea for security?
- Are there any items I can buy to mark my property?
- Can I give you some key holder details for my house/business?
- Can I put barbed/razor wire/broken glass on the top of my fence to stop people getting in?
- Can I use anti-climbing paint on a building or wall to prevent trespassers and anti-social behaviour?
- Can you recommend a burglar alarm company?
- Do you have any general advice to make my house more secure?
- How can I tell if the workman at my door is genuine?
- How do I find out about my local Neighbourhood Watch scheme?
- My neighbour has got CCTV on his property and one of the cameras seems to point at my property, is there anything I can do?
- What are the best types of locks to have on my doors and windows?
- What is the best way to protect my shed from being broken into?
- What lengths can I go to, to protect myself and my home if an intruder breaks in?