Question and Answer - Q524
What happens if my pet dog bites an intruder in my house?
This will depend on the exact circumstances of the incident. The following should be used as a guide only for possible scenarios, as each case will be considered individually.
- if you set your dog onto an intruder and the person suffers injury then you may face prosecution and the court could order the dog to be kept under control/destroyed (dangerous dog not under control).
- if an intruder breaks in whilst you are out and is attacked by the dog then it is unlikely that you would face the need to defend a possible court order.
There is also civil liability to consider in any damage that your dog may cause. It should be noted that most dogs will simply bark at an intruder but will not follow with a physical attack.
- Can I have some information on how I can become a dog handler/ trainer in the police?
- Can the police do anything about people who let their dogs foul on the pavement?
- Do the police do any courses for dog owners?
- Does my dog have to wear a collar with my name and address on it?
- I am a postman/milkman/charity collector etc and when I was delivering to a house a dog bit me when I was in their garden, what action can I take?
- I am concerned that a neighbour is being cruel to his dog, what can I do?
- I have found a dog, what do I do?
- I have knocked over an animal, do I have to report it?
- I have lost my dog, what do I do?
- I want to offer a dog to the police service, what breed/age of dogs do you accept?
- My dog is really afraid of fireworks, do you have any advice?
- My pet has been attacked by a dog can the police do anything?
- My school is doing a project on police dogs, can we have a visit?
- The dog next door is always barking, what can I do?
- There is a dog in a vehicle that appears hot and distressed, what should I do?
- There is a dog that lives down the street and the owner has let it out without a lead and it has bitten me, what can I do?
- There is a stray dog that is hanging around my neighbourhood, what should I do?
- What action can be taken with regards to a dangerous dog?
- What should I do if I suspect my neighbour has an illegal type of dog?
- What type of dogs are illegal to own?
- A house/business burglar alarm is going off, what can I do?
- Are external lights a good idea for security?
- Are there any items I can buy to mark my property?
- Can I give you some key holder details for my house/business?
- Can I put barbed/razor wire/broken glass on the top of my fence to stop people getting in?
- Can I use anti-climbing paint on a building or wall to prevent trespassers and anti-social behaviour?
- Can you recommend a burglar alarm company?
- Do you have any general advice to make my house more secure?
- How can I tell if the workman at my door is genuine?
- How do I find out about my local Neighbourhood Watch scheme?
- My neighbour has got CCTV on his property and one of the cameras seems to point at my property, is there anything I can do?
- What are the best types of locks to have on my doors and windows?
- What is the best way to protect my shed from being broken into?
- What lengths can I go to, to protect my home if an intruder breaks in?