Question and Answer - Q601
Is it illegal to drive a car with a broken speedometer?
Any speedometer that is fitted to a vehicle must be kept in good working order whilst the vehicle is being used on a road. The penalty for failing to have a speedometer in good working order is a fine.
However, if the speedometer develops a fault whilst being used or a defect has been discovered then all steps must be taken to rectify the fault with reasonable expedition. This exception applies only when the defect develops and must be repaired before the next journey.
- Are the speed cameras calibrated?
- Can I get banned for speeding?
- Can I go on a speed awareness course instead of having points on my licence?
- Does there have to be signs to warn motorists that there are speed cameras (both fixed and mobile)?
- How can I tell what the speed limit is?
- How long will the penalty points/endorsement stay on my licence?
- How many points can I have on my licence before I face a ban?
- I have a problem with the traffic calming arrangements in my street/I would like to have traffic calming installed in my street. Who should I contact?
- I have got a speeding ticket and I want to see the photographic evidence, can I?
- I have got a speeding ticket but I have misplaced my licence, what should I do?
- I have got a speeding ticket/summons, but I wasn't driving, what should I do?
- I have seen some spray that can cover my registration number, is it legal?
- I stole a car when I was 15 and received penalty points as part of my punishment. What effect will this have when I am old enough to start driving?
- We have got a speeding ticket for our car but we cannot remember who was driving?
- What are the rules for towing caravans on cars?
- What could happen if I get points on my licence as a provisional or newly qualified driver?
- What is a notice of intended prosecution?
- What is the national speed limit?
- What will happen if I get stopped by a police officer for speeding?
- A lot of cars have their fog lights on when its not foggy, is it legal?
- Have you any tips for driving in the winter conditions/fog?
- How dark can I tint the windows on my vehicle?
- I have seen a car with blue neon lights under the vehicle, is it legal?
- I have seen cars with small blue lights on the windscreen wipers, is this legal?
- I have seen some cars with lights on their tyres, is it legal?
- I want to have a personalised numberplate with fancy writing, what are the requirements?
- Can I listen to my MP3 or ipod player whilst driving a car or riding a bicycle?
- Can I sell my car on the road?
- Can my child use their electric scooter/go-ped/mini moto on the road or pavement?
- Can quad bikes be used on the road?
- Can you drive with a flag attached to your car window?
- Can you offer any advice for horse riders with regards to being on the road?
- Can you repair vehicles on the road?
- Do the police need a reason to stop me whilst I am driving?
- Does a pedestrian have right of way on a zebra crossing?
- How much overhang can I have to the front and rear of my vehicle?
- How old do I have to be to drive a moped/car/ motorbike?
- I have got a summons for driving offences, but I was not stopped by the police/do not own that car/don't drive, what can I do?
- I have got to produce my documents but I am away on holiday/ on business and do not have the documents, what should I do?
- I have received a summons for driving offences to appear at court (I was not stopped by an officer), what does that mean?
- I will be attending a cruise in your area, what advice can you give me?
- If I am issued a parking ticket must it be stuck on my windscreen?
- Is it an offence not to carry all relevant documents when driving so they can be produced for a police officer upon request?
- Is it illegal to reverse a car onto a main road from a minor road?
- Is it illegal to smoke whilst driving?
- Is it illegal to use a CB or two way radio whilst driving?
- Is it legal to cover my car or motorbike whilst it is on the road?
- Is there a difference between the registered keeper and the owner of a vehicle?
- Is there a legal requirement to have a spare tyre and a jack in your car?
- Is there any way I can find out who the owner of a car is?
- My MOT has expired can I drive my car to the garage for the MOT test?
- What are the requirements to legally drive a car in the United Kingdom?
- What class of vehicle is a double cab pick up?
- What does a green P plate on a car mean?
- What is the law relating to tyres?
- What should I do if I am at a red traffic light and there is an emergency vehicle behind me trying to get through?
- What should I do if there is an unmarked police car travelling behind me flashing me to stop?
- What types of vehicles are not allowed in the outside lane on the motorway?
- When can I use the horn in my car?
- Where can I get some information on Advanced driving from?