Question and Answer - Q651
What type of dogs are illegal to own?
Under the Dangerous Dogs Act, it is illegal to own certain breeds. These are; a pit bull terrier type, a Japenese Tosa type, Dogo Argentino type and a Fila Braziliero type.
it is also against the law to sell, abandon, give away or breed from a banned dog.
Any person that owns a dog that is trained/bred to be aggressive or used it as a weapon to intimidate people can face a high prison sentence.
If it is alleged that a dog is of a type which is prohibited it is presumed to be the case until the owner can prove otherwise; they can do this at their own expense.
- What action can be taken with regards to a dangerous dog?
- What should I do if I suspect my neighbour has an illegal type of dog?
- Can I have some information on how I can become a dog handler/ trainer in the police?
- Can the police do anything about people who let their dogs foul on the pavement?
- Do the police do any courses for dog owners?
- Does my dog have to wear a collar with my name and address on it?
- Does my dog need to be microchipped?
- I am a postman/milkman/charity collector etc and when I was delivering to a house a dog bit me when I was in their garden, what action can I take?
- I am concerned that a neighbour is being cruel to his dog, what can I do?
- I have found a dog, what do I do?
- I have knocked over an animal, do I have to report it?
- I have lost my dog, what do I do?
- I want to offer a dog to the police service, what breed/age of dogs do you accept?
- My dog is really afraid of fireworks, do you have any advice?
- My pet has been attacked by a dog can the police do anything?
- My school is doing a project on police dogs, can we have a visit?
- The dog next door is always barking, what can I do?
- There is a dog in a vehicle that appears hot and distressed, what should I do?
- There is a dog that lives down the street and the owner has let it out without a lead and it has bitten me, what can I do?
- There is a stray dog that is hanging around my neighbourhood, what should I do?
- What happens if my pet dog bites an intruder in my house?