Question and Answer - Q675
Can a person be arrested for just swearing in the street?
You could be arrested for swearing in the street. There are various offences which can be committed involving the use of threatening abusive words or behaviour. The effect on others and the intention of the person swearing would be some of the factors to consider when deciding whether or not an offence had been committed.
There is also an offence of using obscene and profane language in the street to the annoyance of residents. However, a person is only likely to be arrested for this offence if the behaviour occurs in the presence of a police officer.
- Can anything be done about cars that drive aroundÂ with loud stereos?
- Can ball games be legally played on a public road?
- Children are letting off fireworks in the street, can the police do anything about it?
- I am worried that my child is at risk from local gangs. Do you have any advice?
- I have been given a penalty notice for disorder, does that mean I have got a criminal conviction?
- I will be attending a cruise in your area, what advice can you give me?
- Local youths keep knocking on my door and running away/throwing eggs at my window, what can I do?
- There are gangs of youths hanging around on street corners drinking what can be done about them?
- There are youths that are driving up and down our street doing hand brake turns etc, can anything be done?
- There is some graffiti/fly posters all over a wall on my street. Who should I contact to get it removed?
- What are dispersal powers?
- What can be done about children who play ball games on a grassed area/verge even though there is a no ball games sign?
- What is a Community Protection Notice?
- What is a Criminal Behaviour Order?
- What is a Public Spaces Protection Order?
- What is an Anti-Social Behaviour Injunction?
- What is the law with regards to graffiti?
- A house/business burglar alarm is going off, what can I do?
- Is there anything I can do about my neighbour constantly playing music/TV really loud?
- My neighbours car alarm is always going off, what can I do?
- The dog next door is always barking, what can I do?
- The noise from the pub next door is too loud what can I do?
- There is a loud party going on next door, can the police do anything about it?
- There is a rave going on near where I live, can the police do anything?
- What are the rules relating to fireworks?
- Who canÂ Â I speak to about making a complaint about low flying aircraft?
- Workmen are digging up the road outside my house at an early hour. What can I do about the noise?