Question and Answer - Q699
What should I do if I am at a red traffic light and there is an emergency vehicle behind me trying to get through?
If you cross the stop line at the junction whilst the lights are on red, you will commit the offence of contravening a red traffic light. However if there is an emergency vehicle behind you with its emergency warning signals on it might be possible for you to manoeuvre out of the way to allow it through. Ideally this should be to the side of the road without encroaching into the main area of the junction. It should only be done when it is safe to do so without putting yourself or other members of the public in danger and it should only be done slowly and carefully.
It is important to remember that in committing the offence (crossing the stop line) the onus will be on you to provide evidence that you did so to allow an emergency vehicle through, and this may be considered as mitigation.
For further consideration Rule 219 of The Highway Code states:
You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.
- A speed camera has flashed me, when will I know if I am going to get a ticket?
- Are the speed cameras calibrated?
- Can I challenge the fixed penalty notice?
- Can I go on a speed awareness course instead of having points on my licence?
- Do I have to tell my insurance company that I have got points on my licence?
- How can I pay the fine for my fixed penalty notice?
- How long will the penalty points/endorsement stay on my licence?
- How many points can I have on my licence before I face a ban?
- How much is the fine for fixed penalty notices (for traffic offences) and how many points is it?
- I got a fixed penalty notice for parking, but I had a disabled badge. What can I do?
- I got a fixed penalty ticket from a police officer but I have lost it, what should I do?
- I have been given a fixed penalty notice by the Police and I have noticed that there is a mistake on it (e.g. wrong date or time), is it still legally enforceable?
- I have got a fixed penalty notice but I cannot afford to pay the whole amount, can I pay it in installments ?
- I have got a fixed penalty notice, do I have to surrender both parts of my licence?
- I have got a parking/speeding ticket/congestion charge for a car that has the same number plate as mine, but it was not my car, what do I do?
- I have got a speeding ticket and I want to see the photographic evidence, can I?
- I have got a speeding ticket but I have misplaced my licence, what should I do?
- I have got a speeding ticket/summons, but I wasn't driving, what should I do?
- I have received an endorsable fixed penalty ticket and need to send my licence off but I am going on holiday and need my licence, what can I do?
- I missed the deadline for payment of the fixed penalty notice by a few days, what can I do?
- I received a summons/conditional offer for a traffic offence through the post and lost it, what do I do?
- I sent my licence off with the ticket and I have not got it back yet, what can I do?
- I stole a car when I was 15 and received penalty points as part of my punishment. What effect will this have when I am old enough to start driving?
- I want some advice on whether to challenge the fixed penalty ticket (with regards to traffic offences) or not, what should I do?
- If I am issued a parking ticket must it be stuck on my windscreen?
- We have got a speeding ticket for our car but we cannot remember who was driving?
- What are fixed penalty tickets (in relation to driving offences)?
- What could happen if I get points on my licence as a provisional or newly qualified driver?
- What is a notice of intended prosecution?
- What should I do if I can't reach the police station where I am supposed to produce my documents?
- What will happen if I don't pay the fine on a fixed penalty notice?
- Can I listen to my MP3 or iPod player whilst driving a car or riding a bicycle?
- Can I sell my car on the road?
- Can my child use their electric scooter/go-ped/mini moto on the road or pavement?
- Can quad bikes be used on the road?
- Can you drive with a flag attached to your car window?
- Can you offer any advice for horse riders with regards to being on the road?
- Can you repair vehicles on the road?
- Do the police need a reason to stop me whilst I am driving?
- Does a pedestrian have right of way on a zebra crossing?
- How old do I have to be to drive a moped/car/ motorbike?
- I have got a summons for driving offences, but I was not stopped by the police/do not own that car/don't drive, what can I do?
- I have got to produce my documents but I am away on holiday/ on business and do not have the documents, what should I do?
- I have received a summons for driving offences to appear at court (I was not stopped by an officer), what does that mean?
- I have seen some spray that can cover my registration number, is it legal?
- I will be attending a cruise in your area, what advice can you give me?
- Is it an offence not to carry all relevant documents when driving so they can be produced for a police officer upon request?
- Is it illegal to drive a car with a broken speedometer?
- Is it illegal to reverse a car onto a main road from a minor road?
- Is it illegal to smoke whilst driving?
- Is it illegal to use a CB or two way radio whilst driving?
- Is it legal to cover my car or motorbike whilst it is on the road?
- Is there a difference between the registered keeper and the owner of a vehicle?
- Is there a legal requirement to have a spare tyre and a jack in your car?
- Is there any way I can find out who the owner of a car is?
- My MOT has expired can I drive my car to the garage for the MOT test?
- What are the requirements to legally drive a car in the United Kingdom?
- What are the rules in relation to advanced stop lines for cyclists at traffic lights?
- What class of vehicle is a double cab pick up?
- What does a green P plate on a car mean?
- What is the law relating to tyres?
- What is the law relating to three wheel vehicles?
- What should I do if there is an unmarked police car travelling behind me flashing me to stop?
- What types of vehicles are not allowed in the outside lane on the motorway?
- When can I use the horn in my car?
- Where can I get some information on Advanced driving from?