Question and Answer - Q743
Is there a difference between the registered keeper and the owner of a vehicle?
A registration document (V5) is not proof of ownership. The registered keeper should be the person who is actually using / keeping the vehicle and this is not necessarily the owner of the vehicle or the person who is paying for it.
He is the person responsible for the vehicle so far as official communications from the police/DVLA etc., but the owner is the person who put up the cash (or was given it as a gift).
The DVLA make a point of saying that the person named on the registration document is not necessarily the owner.
This is particularly true with a company car which is owned by the company, however the registration document should show the registered keeper, i.e. the day to day user (this may be an employee who has it as a permanent perk with his/her job).
In the case of a car used by a married couple, ownership of any property is usually classed as joint and if the husband was stopped driving the vehicle without insurance the police would probably accept that he was joint owner and not look to the wife for additional offences, such as owner permitting no insurance.
A registered keeper will usually be regarded as responsible for parking tickets etc so it would be wise to have the registration document changed if you are the owner, but not the user/keeper. There might also be some circumstances where you would be deemed as being the owner of the vehicle for an insurance offence, e.g. if you are permitting someone to use the vehicle knowing full well it is not insured or roadworthy.
Most insurance companies insist that the person who they insure is the primary user of the vehicle and can specify that the person is the registered keeper. It is up to them who they will or will not insure.
- Can I be the registered keeper of the vehicle on a provisional licence?
- I have just sold my car but I did not get the buyer's name and address?
- I sold my car but I am still getting parking tickets etc
- Is it against the law not to register my details with regards to a car that I have just bought?
- Can I listen to my MP3 or iPod player whilst driving a car or riding a bicycle?
- Can I sell my motor vehicle on the road?
- Can I wear sunglasses whilst driving at night?
- Can my child use their electric scooter / go-ped / mini moto on the road or pavement?
- Can quad bikes be used on the road?
- Can you drive with a flag attached to your car window?
- Can you offer any advice for horse riders with regards to being on the road?
- Can you repair vehicles on the road?
- Do the police need a reason to stop me whilst I am driving?
- Does a pedestrian have right of way on a zebra crossing?
- How old do I have to be to drive a moped / car / motorbike?
- I have got a summons for driving offences, but I was not stopped by the police/do not own that car/don't drive, what can I do?
- I have got to produce my documents but I am away on holiday/ on businessÂ and do not have the documents, what should I do?
- I have received a summons for driving offences to appear at court (I was not stopped by an officer), what does that mean?
- I have seen some spray that can cover my registration number, is it legal?
- I will be attending a cruise in your area, what advice can you give me?
- If I am issued a parking ticket must it be stuck on my windscreen?
- Is it an offence not to carry all relevant documents when driving so they can be produced for a police officer upon request?
- Is it illegal to drive a car with a broken speedometer?
- Is it illegal to reverseÂ a car onto a main road from a minor road?
- Is it illegal to smoke whilst driving?
- Is it illegal to use a CB or two way radio whilst driving?
- Is it legal to cover my car or motorbike whilst it is on the road?
- Is there a legal requirement to have a spare tyre and a jack in your car?
- Is there any way I can find out who the owner of a car is?
- My MOT has expired can I driveÂ my carÂ to the garage for the MOT test?
- What are the requirements to legally drive a car in the United Kingdom?
- What are the rules in relation to advanced stop lines for cyclists at traffic lights?
- What class of vehicle is a double cab pick up?
- What does a green P plate on a car mean?
- What is the law relating to tyres?
- What is the law relating toÂ threeÂ wheel vehicles?
- What should I do if I am at a red traffic light and there is an emergency vehicle behind me trying to get through?
- What should I do ifÂ there is an unmarkedÂ police car travelling behind meÂ flashing me to stop?
- What types of vehicles are not allowed in the outside lane on the motorway?
- When can I useÂ the horn in my car?
- Where can I get some information on Advanced driving from?