Men convicted of sexual assault and perverting the course of justice – Oxford
Wednesday 04 June 2014, 2:50pm
Two men have been convicted of sexual offences against a teenage girl, whilst another has been found guilty of intending to pervert the course of justice.
Mustafa Ahmed, aged 26, of Harrow Road, London, pleaded guilty to one count of sexual assault on Friday (30/5).
Bilal Ahmed, aged 27, of Suffolk Road, Maidenhead, was convicted by a jury today (4/6) of one count of sexual assault by penetration.
Zeeshan Ahmed, aged 28, formerly of Palmer Road, Wood Farm, Oxford, was also convicted of one count of doing an act intending to pervert the course of justice.
The convictions followed a trial at Oxford Crown Court lasting two-and-a-half weeks.
On 17 December 2011, Bilal Ahmed and Mustafa Ahmed sexually assaulted a 17-year-old girl at a property in Cowley Road, Oxford.
Both were arrested late last year, as part of the ongoing Operation Bullfinch investigation into child sexual exploitation.
Zeeshan Ahmed, the cousin of Bilal, threatened the victim when he heard the allegations and told her that she would be shot if she did not stop talking to police.
Operation Bullfinch Senior Investigating Officer Det Supt Joe Kidman said: “I would like to commend the courage of this brave young woman who gave evidence against the men who committed these serious sexual assaults on her when she was a child. We will continue to work closely with Social Services to support victims, whatever their age now and whenever the abuse occurred.
“It has been over a year since a jury at the Old Bailey in London found seven men guilty of dozens of offences against young women in Oxford.
“The convictions here today show that Operation Bullfinch is continuing in earnest, with Thames Valley Police, the Crown Prosecution Service and Oxfordshire County Council working hard to protect vulnerable people and ensure that justice prevails. As an investigation team we are pleased to see offenders put behind bars and so reduce the risk to young people.
“If you have been the victim of sexual abuse, or may know of someone who has been a victim or offender, please contact us. We will listen to you and support you.”
Adrian Foster, chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: “The abuse this girl was subjected to was truly appalling. No-one, let alone a child, should ever be exploited as this young victim was. I commend her bravery in coming forward and providing evidence for the prosecution. She enabled her abusers to face trial and be brought to justice.
“The men who have been convicted are nothing less than vicious sexual predators.
“The Crown Prosecution Service has made tackling child sexual abuse a national priority. Last year the Director of Public Prosecutions announced a radical programme of work in this area to ensure that police and prosecutors deliver justice for more victims than ever before. We are becoming increasingly adept at securing convictions and delivering justice for victims.
“In this case we worked closely with Thames Valley Police from early in the investigation to help build the strongest possible prosecution case. Their investigators, and Crown Prosecution Service lawyers and caseworkers have worked tirelessly to bring this difficult prosecution to court.
“I urge any victims of sexual offences to come forward and report their abuse. We will support you in giving evidence so that your attackers can be brought to justice and others like you can be saved from the horrific ordeal of abuse. I very much hope the verdicts provide some comfort for the victim of this case and for her family, and help them all to move on and rebuild their lives.”
The men will be sentenced at Oxford Crown Court this afternoon.