Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

We are not able to say how long it will be until we can restore this service, but if you sign up to Thames Valley Police Alert you will receive our messages and updates. We are temporarily unable to process any new applications for the grant of shotgun, firearms or explosives certificates. This is due to home visits no longer being possible, following government guidance on the need for social distancing. Renewal applications are currently still being processed. Please contact us online if you have any questions

Advice tool

Add a permanent place of business to a current dealer certificate

How do I apply?

Step 1: Download and complete the firearms dealer registration form (Form 116).

You'll need these details:

  • home addresses from the last five years
  • current dealer certificate details
  • company details and any associated dealer certifications (if applicable)

Step 2: Post your completed form and cheque (payable to Thames Valley Police) to:

Firearms Licensing Department
Thames Valley Police HQ
Oxford Road


How much does it cost?

It costs £200.

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.