Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Add a place of business to a current dealer certificate

How do I apply?

Adding a permanent place of business: if you need to add a permanent place of business within the same police force jurisdiction as your existing place(s) of business you'll need to supply the information required in the 116A form. There will be no fee. 

Adding a temporary place of business: if you need to add a temporary place of business (including exhibitions, fairs etc) in another police force jurisdiction you'll need to register with that force, using form 116A. In some cases there will be a fee of £13. 

Step 1: Download and complete the Notification by a Registered Firearms Dealer of a Place of Business Not Already Entered in the Register form (Form 116A).

Complete parts A, B and C.

You'll need these details:

  • your current RFD certificate number
  • address of the new business
  • details of the 'servants' of your dealership who will be working at the new place of business

Step 2:

If you are an existing RFD and you have an email system that is secure in accordance with GDPR, such as CJSM, you are able to complete the form electronically and email it to us without the need for a wet signature. If you use this method, you can either use an electronic signature, if you have that facility, or you must type your name in the signature box along with the words “Signed electronically” and send it to us from your RFD email address.

Alternatively post your completed form and cheque to:

Firearms Licensing Department
Thames Valley Police HQ
Oxford Road


How much does it cost?

It's free to apply for a permanent place of business within the same force jurisdiction. 

There may be a £13 fee for temporary places of business within a different force jurisdiction to the one you're currently registered with. 

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.