Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Apply for a certificate to travel with a firearm from the UK to an EU country

How do I apply?

Step 1: Apply for a European Firearms Pass (EFP) by writing to:

Firearms Licensing Department
Thames Valley Police HQ
Oxford Road

Please include:

  • your full name and contact details
  • your current certificate number
  • the shotgun(s) and/or firearm(s) you would like to include on your EFP (make, model, serial number)
  • the country you're travelling to
  • your planned travel dates

Step 2
: Contact the British embassy, consulate or high commission in your destination country. They'll be able to advise you on the necessary steps.

Step 3: Contact your airline and travel company to make sure you comply with all of their security requirements.

How much does it cost?

It's free to apply.

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.