Find out about volunteering as a Special Constable.
Special constables are volunteer police officers who play an important role in policing the Thames Valley. You will work closely alongside your regular colleagues, adding to a diverse range of skills and experiences from all walks of life to make a real difference in reducing crime.
Being a special constable will open you up to new opportunities, giving real job satisfaction and transferable skills.
To be eligible to join as a special constable, you must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be a British or Commonwealth citizen or an EU/European Economic Area national
- have leave to remain in the UK indefinitely
- not have served any period of imprisonment or youth detention
- not have any existing County Court judgements outstanding
- not be registered bankrupt with bankruptcy debts that have not been discharged for at least three years
- not be the subject of a current Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA)
- not have piercings or tattoos which could cause offence
- be in good health, of sound constitution and be able to physically and mentally perform the duties of a special constable once appointed
If you have a criminal record or conviction, it may lead to your application being rejected. We will take into account factors including the date and circumstances of the offence, plus evidence of good character since the offence.
There are some jobs which can cause a possible conflict of interest between your current job and the role of special constable. These are known as ‘precluded occupations’. Some examples of precluded occupations include:
- bar work
- door staff
- armed forces
- immigration officers
This is not a definitive list, if you would like to know more, please contact the recruitment department on email@example.com.
Employer Supported Policing
Employer Supported Policing (ESP) is a partnership between employers, their staff and the police to support special constabulary duties. Employers who have an ESP scheme in place may offer additional paid leave for special constable training or duties.
If your employer doesn’t have an ESP policy but would be interested in finding out more, they can contact the recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org.