Three men jailed following investigation into kidnapping - Didcot

Published on:
Last updated:
Published by:
General news
South Oxfordshire and the Vale of White Horse

Three men have been jailed following a Thames Valley Police investigation into a kidnapping in Didcot.

Ben Mitchell
Ben Mitchell was jailed for kidnapping and drugs offences
Davy Herron
Davy Herron was jailed for drugs offences


Ben Mitchell, aged 25, of Venners Water, Didcot, pleaded guilty to one count of kidnapping at Oxford Crown Court on Monday (26/2), while two other men have admitted other offences as a result of that investigation.

Mitchell also pleaded guilty to six counts of being concerned in offering to supply Class A drugs (including cocaine, MDMA, heroin and crack) and one count of being concerned in offering to supply Class B drugs at a hearing on 24 November.

He was jailed for a total of five years and four months on Monday.

It follows an incident at about 4am on 19 August, 2017, when Mitchell forced his way into the flat of a 21-year-old woman in Didcot and demanded to know the location of her partner and his friends.

Mitchell had lost a large quantity of drugs and suspected the woman’s partner and friends of being responsible for taking it.

The victim was then physically forced to leave the flat and was put in a car. She was then instructed to show where she thought her partner and his friends were.

On seeing a police car, Mitchell got out of the vehicle and ran away, but he was later arrested.

During the course of the investigation, police found evidence linking Mitchell and another man, Davy Herron, to the supply of class A and B drugs.

Herron, aged 21, of Abbott Road, Didcot, pleaded guilty to one count of being concerned in offering to supply a Class A drug (namely MDMA) and one count of being concerned in offering to supply a Class B drug at Oxford Crown Court on 20 February.

He was jailed on Monday (26/2) for a total of three years.

Mitchell’s brother Jonathan Mitchell, aged 30, of Chester Road, Anfield, Liverpool, was jailed for 16 months on Monday after he pleaded guilty to one count of witness intimidation.

On August 25, knowing his brother was in custody, Jonathan Mitchell had called the victim and made threats against her life due to her providing evidence to the police.

Detective Constable Richard Whitcombe, of the Investigation Hub at Abingdon, said: “This was a nasty incident which has left the aggrieved suffering from post-traumatic stress. There was no regard for the welfare of the victim or the effect this may have on her.

“I would like to thank the members of Thames Valley Police who assisted in this protracted and difficult investigation over the past six months.

“I would also like to thank the Crown Prosecution Service Paralegal Officer Jay Singh who was instrumental throughout the court case.”


Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve this website

Please do not use this form to report an incident or crime, and please do not include any sensitive or confidential information.

You are responsible for all information that you have entered into this form.