Three men sentenced for Palmer Park incident – Reading

Published on:
14 Sep 2017, 3:12 p.m.
Published by:
General news

Following a Thames Valley Police investigation, three men have been sentenced to a total of seven years’ imprisonment for an incident in Reading.

Braydon Corrigan (left) and Daniel Brown (right)

Daniel Brown, aged 22 from Wokingham Road, Reading, Braydon Corrigan, aged 22 from Squirrels Way, Earley, and Joshua Cruickshank, aged 22 from Benson Close, Reading, were sentenced at Reading Crown Court on Wednesday (6/9).

The offence took place at around 5am on 8 November 2015, when police were called to report of a physical altercation between a group of four men and a group of three men in Palmer Park on Wokingham Road. The men then started to leave the park.

As the group of four were leaving, they were approached by the group of three who had been joined by another five men. The group of four were then punched and hit over the head with beer bottles by the other group. Two of them sustained head and face injuries which required hospital treatment.

Brown was arrested in connection with the offence on 22 November 2015 and

Corrigan was arrested on 25 November 2015. Both men were charged on 20 November 2016.

At around 10.30pm on 26 November 2015, one of the victims of the offence was at a bar on the Whiteknights university campus when he was threatened by Cruikshank, who told him to drop the charges from the original incident.

Cruikshank was subsequently arrested for this offence on 14 September 2016 and charged on 19 November 2016.

All three men were found guilty and convicted following a six-day trial at Reading Crown Court, which concluded on Monday 31 July 2017.

At Wednesday’s court appearance, they were issued with the following sentences:

  • Brown, who was found guilty of making an offer to supply a class A drug and possession of a class A drug, was sentenced to three and a half years’ imprisonment.
  • Corrigan, who was found guilty of two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, was sentenced to three years’ imprisonment. As he was already serving a suspended sentence, he was also given an additional twelve month sentence to be served concurrently.
  • Cruickshank, who was found guilty of witness intimidation, was sentenced to twelve months’ imprisonment.

Following the sentencing, investigating officer Detective Constable Neil Callaway, based at Reading police station, said: “This was a brutal and sustained attack with weapons on a group of individuals, and the intimidation which followed caused real distress to the victims who were very brave in coming forward.

“I hope these sentences will bring closure to the victims and reassure the public that behaviour such as this will be dealt with robustly.”

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve this website

Please do not use this form to report an incident or crime, and please do not include any sensitive or confidential information.

You are responsible for all information that you have entered into this form.