“Currently leading proactive operations and Commercial Vehicle Unit teams, Inspector Hills consistently goes the extra mile to provide exceptional roads policing services. Notably, he initiated Operation Tutelage in 2017, which has since become a nationwide initiative, fostering collaboration between law enforcement and the motor insurance industry.
“Using ANPR technology, this operation collects data on uninsured drivers and stores it in the Midas database. Registered keepers receive letters reminding them of the consequences of driving without insurance, resulting in an impressive 80 per cent compliance rate. The remaining 20 per cent are meticulously investigated and placed on ANPR hotlists, many of whom are linked to other criminal activities.
“Operation Tutelage significantly alleviates the burden on frontline policing by resolving the majority of issues outside the criminal justice system. Moreover, it furnishes valuable intelligence that aids in disrupting illegal drivers and criminals. This impactful programme has been widely adopted by police forces across the nation.
“Inspector Hills faced the daunting challenge of implementing this scheme amid financial constraints and uncertainties.
“During its introduction, roads policing endured significant budget cuts. Nevertheless, Operation Tutelage has proven to be a cost-effective approach, reducing demands on law enforcement, enabling the public to address insurance issues without legal proceedings, and enhancing intelligence for combating uninsured driving and criminal activities.”
When speaking about the award, Simon said: “I am of course so very proud to have been awarded this. I accept it on behalf of every Roads Policing officer nationally, who, as we know, go out every day to make our roads safer.
“To all my colleagues across the UK who are involved in the Tutelage programme, from those dealing with back-office enquiries to the officers stopping offending vehicles and dealing with the occupants; this award is for all of you because without you none of this would be possible.”
On behalf of Thames Valley Police, we congratulate our colleague Simon for his achievement!
Thames Valley Police (TVP) is actively looking for people to be the difference they want to see in their communities. Police Officer recruitment is now open, with entry routes available for anyone interested in joining policing.
To find out more about a policing career with TVP – including the realities of working on response, initial training, and to apply to become a Police Officer please visit our Police Officer page