New Windsor Borough Police was officially formed in 1936 following the passing of the Municipal Corporations Act 1835 that allowed local councils to set up full-time paid police forces.

The borough boundaries were smaller than the current boundaries. The parish of Clewer and Windsor Great Park were within the county of Berkshire. The location of the Windsor Divisional Headquarters was in Clewer police station of the Berkshire Constabulary. Windsor Borough Police remained a separate police force until 1947 when it amalgamated with the Berkshire Constabulary. The responsibility for policing of Windsor Castle was, and still is that of the Metropolitan Police.

The New Windsor Borough Police force was under the overall control of the council's Watch Committee and under the operational control of the Head Constable, later to be referred to as the Chief Constable.

Being a borough force the role of the police, especially the head constable, incorporated many tasks which were later to become the direct role of officials within the council. The Watch Committee minutes clearly show the head constable was responsible for recommending the licensing and inspection of common lodging houses, weights and measure and, with the introduction of the motor car, the recommendations for approval re-licensing and selling of petroleum.

In 1913 the Watch Committee approved the recommendations of the Government to set up both the first police reserves (suitable retired police officers who could still perform the role of constables and retained on an annual fee) and second police reserves (names of men from within the borough who were willing to volunteer to assist the police in their duties).

By 1914, the police station was situated, with the fire station in St Leonards Road, Windsor. The police station incorporated housing for the head constable and also accommodation for single police officers. The total establishment of the force at that time was 23.

On 4 August, 1914 on the declaration of war, two constables (PCs Jones and Gates) who had previous military service and were on Military Reserve, were immediately recalled to the Colours.

The Defence of the Realm Act and Regulations of 1914 placed a great deal of increased duties on the police forces across the country. Rest days and annual leave were immediately suspended, and some of the first police reserve were recalled for police service. The Special Constabulary Act 1914 enabled members of the second police reserve to volunteer for appointment as Special Constables, whereby they were 'sworn in', which gave them the powers of a constable within the Borough of Windsor and the adjoining area. The use of the second police reserve and the special constables enabled the Windsor police force to meet their additional duties. 88 (88 per cent) of the members of Windsor's second police reserve were sworn in as Special Constables.

The Windsor Police Watch Committee minutes gives additional detail in relation to policing in Windsor. The Corporate Waterworks in Eton were considered very vulnerable and initially a day (6am-6pm) guard of Special Constables, with a night (6pm-6am) armed guard of one Corporal and three guardsmen from the Coldstream Guards was provided. This was later changed on 2 June 1915 when the armed guard was withdrawn and special constables covered from 6am-2am when regular constable took over and covered until 6am.

On 4 November 1914 the chief constable received a request from the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police force for Windsor Special Constables to take over the policing of Windsor Castle so that Th King's Guard (police officers provided by the Metropolitan Police) could be released. This was approved by the Watch Committee. However, on 2 December 1914 the chief constable reported to the Watch Committee that an armed guard was required for patrolling the castle and it was not suitable for Special Constables and that the duty was then being performed by the National Reserve Territorials (London Division).

On 7 April 1915 the Watch Committee approved a recommendation from the chief constable to pay the regular police officers an additional week's pay in recognition of the extra duties they had performed. The Watch Committee increased this to two weeks pay in relation to the chief constable.

On 2 June 1915 as a result of The Police (Emergency Provisions) Act 1915 the Watch Commitee approved the chief constable to allow constables to volunteer for military service on the condition he had sufficient resources to cover their absence.

On 1 December 1915 the chief constable reported to the Watch Committee that eight members of Windsor Borough Police had then either been recalled to the Colours or volunteered for military service. In addition 22 Special Constables had also volunteered. Four members of the first police reserve were employed on full time duties. He also confirmed that rest days had been reintroduced but at a rate of one per month, and not one per week as was the case prior to the outbreak of war.

At the same meeting the chief constable outlined the regular daily deployment of Special Constables: two Special Constables were deployed to the Waterworks 6am-10pm and 10pm-2am. One Special was available for duty 2pm-6pm and two were deployed 6pm-10pm on street duty. In addition, seven Special Constables were available daily for deployment, with none on Saturdays.

The chief constable also requested that the Watch Committee approve his decision, at that time, that no further constables be approved for military service. It was recognised the pressure put on young men to volunteer and it was agreed that the chief constable look into the option of providing a badge to constable showing that they had submitted a request to volunteer, but had been refused.

On 2 April 1916 the chief constable once again reported to the Watch Committee that all constables were losing an average of 20 rest days per year, and once again the Watch Committee granted each man an additional weeks pay, and two weeks for the chief constable. On 29 June 1916, the Watch Committee on recognising that constables were losing three rest days per month, granted all constables a three shillings per week 'war bonus'.

In his 1918 licensing report the chief constable stated that in total ten members of the force, from an establishment of 23, had joined HM forces.

On 5 February 1919 following the return of officers serving in the military the Special Constables ceased regular duties. A certificate was later approved by the Watch Committee to be present to each Special Constable recognising their service during the war.

By the end of the war two officers had been killed while serving their country.

The two men who died were:

Albert Edward Jones was born in Hampnett, Gloucestershire, in 1887.

He was one of seven children of James and Emma Jones. In the 1891 Census (5 April 1891) the Jones family were living in Cookham Cottage, Hazelton, Gloucestershire. Albert was then the youngest of five children, his father; James was employed as an 'Oxman' on a farm.

By the 1901 Census (Sunday 31 March 1901) the Jones family had moved to Old Hill Cottage, Hampnett, Gloucestershire. Albert, aged 13, was then the eldest of three children remaining at home. His father was still an 'Oxman', and Albert was employed as a labourer on a farm.

Between the 1901 Census and the 1911 Census things certainly changed for Albert. First he enlisted in the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment. On 2 October 1905 he joined the regular army and enlisted into 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, where he served three years, being discharged and placed onto the reserves on 2 August 1908.

It appears that upon discharged he settled in the Windsor area, where he had previously served with the Coldstream Guards. The reason could have also been due to meeting Mary Elizabeth Humphries, who was in service to families there. In the 1901 Census, she had been working as a parlour maid and domestic servant living in The Grange at Waltham St Lawrence, Berkshire.

On 18 January, 1909 Albert married Mary (registered Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, 1909 Jan-March Volume 11A page 1613).

In the 1911 Census (Sunday 2 April 1911) Albert and Mary were living in 213 St Leonard's Road, Windsor, and Albert was a Constable in the Windsor Borough Police Force.

On 16 March 1913 Mary gave birth to her and Albert’s first child, a daughter called Alice Mary Jones (registered Windsor 1913 Apr-June Volume 2C Page 865).

In 1914 military tension was rising in Europe. On 4 August Germany invaded Belgium as a means of accessing and invading France. Due to Germany’s refusal to retreat from the invasion Britain had no option but to declare war on Germany, and The Great War, later also to be referred to as World War One, commenced.

On 5 August 1914 Albert Jones, being on the army reserve, was recalled to the Colours and rejoined 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards. The Coldstream Guards were immediately mobilised for war and landed in France on 13 August 1914 forming part of The British Expeditionary Force. They were immediately involved in action.

On 19 September 1914 immediately following the Battle of Aisne, and as the army was beginning trench warfare, Private 6365 Albert Jones, 1st Battalion Coldsteam Guards, received gunshot wounds to his head and right leg. He remained in a Field Hospital in France until 9 October 1914 when he was transferred back to England to the Military Hospital at Netley, Hampshire, and to the Reserve 4th Battalion of the Coldstream Guards.

During his recovery in Netley Hospital, Albert developed tetanus and on 12 October 1914, aged 27, he died from his wounds. He is remembered with honour and buried in grave reference AN 131 in Windsor Cemetery, St Leonards Road, Windsor, Berkshire.

Thomas Alexander Tamlin was born in Plymouth, Devon, in 1884.

He was one of seven children of Charles and Mary Timlan. In the 1891 Census (Sunday 5 April 1891) the Tamlin family, then with five children, were living in 19 Plym Street, Plymouth, Devon. Charles was employed as a painter. The family were still living in Plym Street in the 1901 Census (Sunday 31 March 1901).

On 5 May 1909 Thomas, aged 25, was appointed a Police Constable in Windsor Borough Police.

In the 1911 Census (Sunday 2 April, 1911) Police Constable Thomas Tamlin was living in the Section House of Windsor Borough Police Station in St Leonards Road, Windsor. Also resident at the Police Station was the Chief Constable; James Carter, and his family.

Between July and September 1911 Thomas married Ethel Louisa Tiltman in Windsor (registered Windsor 1911 July-Sept Volume 2C Page 1040).

Between January and March 1912 Ethel gave birth to Charles F Tamlin in Windsor (registered Windsor 1912 Jan-Mar Volume 2C Page 831).

In 1914 military tension was rising in Europe. On 4 August Germany invaded Belgium as a means of accessing and invading France. Due to Germany’s refusal to retreat from the invasion Britain had no option but to declare war on Germany, and The Great War, later also to be referred to as World War One, commenced.

Like many young men Thomas volunteered for military service and on 7 December 1915 the Chief Constable of Windsor Borough Police gave approval for him to be released for military service in accordance with The Police (Emergency Provisions) Act 1915.

Thomas was initially appointed as Private 2696 in the Military Foot Police. However, due to the high number of casualties in infantry units, officers from support units, such as the Military Foot Police, were compulsorily transferred to infantry units and Thomas was posted a Private G/63043 to the 2nd/4th Battalion of The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment).

On 23 July 1918 Thomas, aged 34, was killed in action while serving in France. He is buried in grave reference I.C.3 in the Raperie British Cemetery, Villemontoire, Aisne, France.

Information on this page found and verified from researching archived police records and newspapers plus from entries on the following websites: Find My Past, Ancestry, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Forces-war-records.