Firearms and explosives licensing

Application forms, fees, and information about firearms and explosives certificates.

The Firearms Licensing department is responsible for issuing certificates for all firearms, shotguns and explosives. 


We are currently experiencing some delays with the processing of certificates. Please keep this in mind when submitting your application for a license, or renewal. 

Renewal of firearm and shotgun certificates

Due to our current renewal period we are experiencing a delay in processing applications. If you have submitted a renewal application and we are not able to process it before the expiry date of your current certificate, the licensing authority will issue you with a temporary permit. This will cover you for your continued use and possession.

If you have not received your temporary permit a week before your expiry date, please email the Firearms Licensing department.

If you do not have a current certificate, or temporary permit, all firearms and ammunition held must be taken to a Registered Firearms Dealer for safe keeping until you receive your new certificate. Shotguns can either be taken to a Registered Firearms Dealer, or another current shotgun certificate holder who has appropriate storage facilities.


The Firearms Licensing department must be told of the location of any guns you hold. 

If you buy, sell, hire, lose, destroy, deactivate, have stolen, or otherwise acquire or dispose of a firearm or shotgun you must let the police know within 7 days. 

Please fill in the Notification of Transfer or Disposal of a Firearm or Shotgun form.


You can contact the Firearms Licensing department by: 

  • post - Thames Valley Police, Firearms and Explosive Licensing Department, Police Headquarters, Kidlington, OX5 2NX
  • telephone - 01865 541556 from 3pm to 5pm, Monday to Thursday and 3pm to 4pm on Fridays
  • email -


To apply for a certificate or renewal of a certificate fill out the application form (please carefully read through the notes on pages 12-15).

We will try to process your application within the following timeframes: 

  • renewal or variation of a firearm certificate - within 60 working days
  • renewal of a shotgun certificate - within 60 working days
  • change of address - within 30 working days
  • issue a European Firearms Pass - within 20 working days
  • issue a temporary permit - within 20 working days

View the full range of firearms and shotgun application forms

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve this website

Please do not use this form to report an incident or crime, and please do not include any sensitive or confidential information.

Please note that your IP address will be captured and included along with your form submission.

You are responsible for all information that you have entered into this form.